ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Monday, June 27, 2011

Thanking God for the Miracles

May Sarton 1912-1995
May Sarton used to say that she spent the first 20 minutes of every day wandering the garden looking for miracles. Not a bad way to begin one's day. 

If there are not flowers, just watching the way the morning light bounces and reflects off the grass or off the leaves of trees. Once, I expressed anxiety that some would think I was wasting precious moments when I could be exercising, working, pulling weeds...  A wise friend, who is familiar with Sarton's work suggested, "Tell them you are watching for miracles." 


I was surrounded by miracles this past weekend. Both my daughters who live away, came home.  Friday evening, my parents and three of my four girls and grandkids enjoyed a cookout.  Saturday morning we had a brunch to end all brunches!  Every dish was a new recipe and everything was so good! You know its good when even the cook can't find anything wrong. Saturday evening was pizza and wine.  This morning, my husband treated them all to breakfast as I was beginning worship 50 miles away. : (


I grew up as the only girl with two younger brothers.  Having four daughters within 5.5 years was a life lesson in crazy love, and the lesson continues today even though the youngest just turned 30.  I'm sure sisters understand what I am saying.





Take the crazy love of my four daughters and add the craziness of grandkids, husbands, and grandparents and you have a weekend of laughter, quiet conversation, good food, playing, grumbling... Crazy Love.


The miracle of my garden is pausing to see, to notice, the beauty of God within the colors, scents, leaves, plants, insects, birds....


The miracle of my family is seeing the beauty of God within their differences and their similarities, their laughter and their bickering...within the Crazy Love that is simply being family. Just like my flower beds, I all to often take the miracle of the presence of God for granted within, between, and among those I love the most. I am so blessed.




AMEN!


Many Blessings ~ Sandi

1 comment: