ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gather Up the Crumbs - VIII - Evening Review - Lord, help me discern my crumbs...



Psalm 18:1-6, 27-33
1 I love you, LORD, my strength.
2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
   my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
   my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

3 I called to the LORD, who is worthy of praise,
   and I have been saved from my enemies.
4 The cords of death entangled me;
   the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;
   the snares of death confronted me.

 6 In my distress I called to the LORD;
   I cried to my God for help.
  From his temple he heard my voice;
   my cry came before him, into his ears.



27 You save the humble
   but bring low those whose eyes are haughty.
28 You, LORD, keep my lamp burning;
   my God turns my darkness into light.
29 With your help I can advance against a troop;
   with my God I can scale a wall.

 30 As for God, his way is perfect:
   The LORD’s word is flawless;
   he shields all who take refuge in him.
31 For who is God besides the LORD?
   And who is the Rock except our God?
32 It is God who arms me with strength
   and keeps my way secure.
33 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he causes me to stand on the heights. 





Loving Father, Strong Deliverer, Encouraging Spirit, help me discern the crumbs that have fallen along my path today. AMEN.

Immediately, I am reminded I've had the smiles of all four grandkids in and out today.  Each smile is different, just as each set of eyes...but each one touches my heart and reminds me of the love that is around me and within me.

My mother-in-law is dying.  She lives alone in a home very close to ours.  Today, between agriculture and his mother, my husband's nerves have been frayed. Today, between their own farming operation, two small boys, and her grandmother, #1 daughter's nerves are frayed. Today, between a hard day at work, two small children, having to make several errands after work, and her grandmother, # 4 daughter's nerves are frayed.

And then there is me.

I love this song by Laura Story....



Evan, Payton, Aaron, Cooper
This evening, I am remembering the smiles of the four kids as I look back over this day. In many ways, their smiles are more than a few crumbs. Sitting here this evening, I realize their eyes were the only "happy" eyes I actually looked into today.  Sitting here, thinking about that blessing, I sense that Christ was smiling at me through the eyes of these precious kids of mine.

This evening, I am remembering two email messages from women who attend the church, asking how my mother-in-law is doing.  Actually, with the second email, I recognized it as a crumb that was offering me a moment's pause...a moment's blessing.
Rebecca, Nancy

This evening, I am thinking that even though they were stressed, I've two really special daughters who are finding time in their day to attend a failing grandmother.  They are a blessing.  Their love...their gift of them selves are wonderful crumbs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I could sign off, I received another call. "Sandi, I've fallen and I can't get up." Now, an hour and half later, floors mopped, carpet cleaned, and laundry going again...I'm back.

Driving home between our homes, Laura Story's words echoed in my heart..."What if my blessings come through raindrops? What if my healing comes through tears? What if trials of this life are your mercies in disguise?"

Lord, you know my heart. AMEN.

Many Blessings ~ Sandi

1 comment:

  1. You are counting all the crumbs as blessings; you are examining them, so you are able to hold them in your memory. Praise be.

    ReplyDelete