ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Making a Judgement

Charlotte Bronte
1816-1855
Men judge us by the success of our efforts. God looks at the efforts themselves. ~ Charlotte Bronte

Sadly, I am at times too quick to pass a judgement on someone or something.

"He's most likely running a scam, I've seen people like him on the news. If I give him money, he'll probably head to the nearest liquor store."


"How could she let her child come to school looking like that! He's probably not had a bath all week."


Fictitious, but you get the idea...

One of my favorite stories from scripture comes from both Matthew and John...


John 8 : 1-2 Jesus went across to Mount Olives, but he was soon back in the Temple again. Swarms of people came to him. He sat down and taught them. 3-6The religion scholars and Pharisees led in a woman who had been caught in an act of adultery. They stood her in plain sight of everyone and said, "Teacher, this woman was caught red-handed in the act of adultery. Moses, in the Law, gives orders to stone such persons. What do you say?" They were trying to trap him into saying something incriminating so they could bring charges against him.
 6-8Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger in the dirt. They kept at him, badgering him. He straightened up and said, "The sinless one among you, go first: Throw the stone." Bending down again, he wrote some more in the dirt.
 9-10Hearing that, they walked away, one after another, beginning with the oldest. The woman was left alone. Jesus stood up and spoke to her. "Woman, where are they? Does no one condemn you?"
 11"No one, Master."
   "Neither do I," said Jesus. "Go on your way. From now on, don't sin."

Like I just admitted, I can be a judgmental person. Case in point...The group Mettalica? I don't think I've ever thought a kind word about this group. They are "HEAVY METAL"! I won't get into the negative thoughts that have gone through my head! But, reading with a heart ready to hear something new, I just discovered this group may have been used by God to reach an audience that would not be interested in hearing me talk. It is difficult to consider Metallica has been preaching "truth" to a group of people...who hear truth in a different way than I! Listen and Read...



NO MORE!!!
The crap rolls out your mouth again
Haven't changed, your brain is still gelatin
Little whispers circle around your head
Why don't you worry about yourself INSTEAD!!!

Who are you? where ya been? where ya from?
Gossip burning on the tip of your tongue
You lie so much you believe yourself
Judge not l'est ye be judged yourself

Holier than thou
You are
Holier than thou
You are

You know not

Before you judge me take a look at you
Can't you find something better to do
Point the finger, slow to understand
Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

It's not you are it's who you know
Others lives are the basis of your own
Burn your bridges and build them back with wealth
Judge not l'est ye be judged yourself

Holier than thou
You are
Holier than thou
You are

You know not

Yeah who the hell are you?
Hey you

Holier than thou
You are
Holier than thou
You are

You know not

NOT!!!

This is a huge lesson for me! Seriously, this song, if you want to call it that, contains truth.  Over and again I have said, "God uses all kind of media to get his message across."  I will admit, I never thought of God using Metallica. Yet, who am I to say he could not, if he so chose?

I wonder if the notion of God using Metallica is as difficult for me to swallow as Jesus not throwing a stone at the prostitute was for those who worked to "keep the Law"?

Another question of judgement to ponder...Do you know what this flower comes from? 



I will give you a hint...It has a wonderful fragrance!




Many Blessings ~ Sandi

2 comments:

  1. One of my cousins posted on FaceBook that she enjoys beginning her day with my blog. UMMMM, she's never said that before. I wonder if it was listening to Metallica that motivated her post? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee Hee. Music does touch to the sould. Your other music selection was one of the first praise songs that I remember from attending church when I was in college- what a wonderful memory.

    ReplyDelete