ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Thank You!

Will Rogers 1879-1935
Will Rogers once said, "The farmer has to be an optimist, or he wouldn't still be a farmer."


Christian Nute defines optimism as:Optimism is the ability to see the positive side of things rather than the negative. Optimistic thinkers are usually positive people because they approach life with the expectation that a happy outcome is both desirable and possible. True optimism doesn't mean being unaware of problems; it means actively looking for the positive factors in a situation. 



Optimism gives strength to cope with all life troubles. It gives you hope for the best in any situation. This is the feeling that gives you a freedom from depression, jealousy and indifference. Besides, it helps to receive a huge experience in any life situation. I think optimism gives you a happiness, a true happiness in your life.

More than once, optimism has saved my life. Several times since I broke my neck and had the spinal cord injury in 1998, optimism has kicked in and has not let me sulk away into some hole to let the world continue without me. Many times these past few years, I have offered a prayer of thanksgiving for the optimism that seems to control my soul, and at times I have wondered where it has come from?


I could, and would say, it comes from my faith in God.  Yet, I continue to think...and besides my deep faith I think I have a sense of optimism because I have been raised as a corn-fed country girl with deep roots in farming that go back many generations.

Several months ago I stumbled onto a wonderful little book, simply titled The Farmer by Mark Ludy. I loved this book and decided I wanted to purchase a copy for every family in my congregation with a young child. I finally managed to purchase fourteen books and gave them to the kids a few weeks ago during the children's sermon. The Farmer has one disaster after another, yet he always prays and thanks God, and he is always optimistic with each new spring.

Tomatoes...
Yesterday, I drove down to Shelby Co. My heart was heavy as I drove past tomato fields with plants, covered with mud and standing in water.

Yes, this is a field planted in beans.
A few miles down the road, there was a bean field that looked as though it was really a small lake.




Big Sugar Creek
Crossing the bridge I paused to look out over Big Sugar, which is normally not all that "big", and marveled again at the power of water.

Today, as I listen to more reports of the Missouri River floods...I just wanted to take a moment and say, "Thank You" to all the men and women who get the needed financing to plant seeds into the earth hoping the sun shines and the rain falls in just the right amounts. Those farmers who raise livestock. I managed our hog operation for several years.  I know the heart that goes into raising strong and healthy animals.  Those farmers who are tied...and yes they are TIED...to dairies.  Farmers who raise fruit and vegetables...

Watching my husband get the combine out today, preparing for wheat harvest, even though we still have beans to plant, knowing the worry and concern of this spring, I whispered, Thank You. Looking out over our crop I thought of my late father-in-law and uncles, I thought of my Dad/Mom, my daughter and my "sons", my brothers, my cousins, and I whispered a Thank You. Looking back over these pictures taken in Shelby Co I want to say a Thank You to the agribusiness people in that area.

My days often seem to blur from one to another and sadly, I forget and take things and people for granted.  For all the men and women who put food on my table, fuel in my car, and even some clothing on my back...I just want to say, thank you.  BUT, not only do you provide so many things that keep my stomach full, and my car running...You put out a sense of hope and optimism into the universe and that is a good thing to offer to the people of this world.  THANK YOU!  You are an example for all of us to model, I know for many of you, your hope and faith come from above.

The Prayer...Celine Dion and Josh Grobin

Many Blessings ~ Sandi 

No comments:

Post a Comment