ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Farming - Flooding - Illusion of Control - Everything is Holy Now

NWS issues flash flood warning for Johnson, Marion, Hancock and Shelby Counties
Picture of one of the many creeks and rivers in the area.
Yesterday the community where my congregation is located received 3-5 inches of rain.  I spoke with the secretary after lunch and learned she had canceled plans to meet with friends because of flooding across many of the roads.  She also shared that she had seen fields, belonging to members in the congregation, under water.

I watched the news, trying to learn more about the area, only to learn that the National Weather Service in Indianapolis had declared a flash flood warning until 3:00 p.m. for several counties in Central Indiana.

If you hold on to the handle, she said, its easier to
maintain the illusion of control. But its more fun if
you just let the wind carry you. 
Sounds like so many of the other stories that have filled the news this spring.  We were lucky here, we didn't receive nearly as much rain.  I walked along my yard, looking out in all directions. I wondered what we are suppose to do?  Farmers are totally dependent upon the laws of nature. Our livelihood, in so many ways is out of our control.

"Hummm, isn't that what all of life is basically about, San? Perhaps, as an agribusiness person AND as a pastor, you can appreciate that more than others?"

I found this print by Story People about that thing called Illusion of Control. They say it is "more fun"...I'm not there yet in all aspects of my life.  Farming is one, yet...farming is anything but control!

Thing is, God isn't asking for me to "let go" in just certain areas of my life, to trust him with "this"...but not "that".


Peter Mayer
Peter Mayer a folk singer from Minnesota often speaks to my heart when I'm carrying questions in my heart and mind.

Everything is Holy Now


Lord, help me to see the holy when my heart is fearful and anxious. Help me to remember when my heart is fearful and anxious...that's my Demon speaking and I am CHOOSING to listen to him rather than You! Oh...I'm so glad you are patient with me, God! AMEN.





Many Blessings ~ Sandi

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is a LOT of water! Sometimes you can't even drive on my mom and dads driveway because of flooding. Hope it is better now there were you are!

    And yes i am your 15th follower!!!! Whoohoo!!!
    Leontien
    www.fourleafcloverdairy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete