ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Frail and Glorious - VII

The surgery yesterday was long, thus I got home late and I began working on gathering supplies and running off power point note pages for the Lead Like Jesus Encounter today... I would say I'm stressed, but I'm too tired to be stressed. : )  Lord, help me remember I am not in charge of this world...Lord, help me remember I am yours and that you are the great I AM!



Sarah Young writes in her devotional, Jesus Calling,
"I the Creator of the universe, am with you and for you. What more could you need? When you feel some lack, it is because you are not connecting with me at a deep level. I offer abundant Life; your part is to trust Me, refusing to worry about anything. 
"It is not so much adverse events that make you anxious as it is your thoughts about those events. Your mind engages in efforts to take control of a situation, to bring about the result you desire. Your thoughts close in on the problem like ravenous wolves. Determined to make things go your way, you forget that I am in charge of your life. The only remedy is to switch your focus from the  problem to My Presence. Stop all your striving, and watch to what I will do. I am the Lord!"
I like this devotion book so much and that is honestly unusual for me.  I normally get bored with a daily devotion, but this one is different.

Frederick Buechner
As I prepare for yet another busy day...I found a quote by Frederick Buechner. I've actually copied it off and have put it inside my facilitator's notebook for today. I have been around so much death or dying this past week. Sometimes, as I go from one thing to another, I wonder what difference it makes? When I begin to get really tired, I sometimes go with harder questions of doubts, "Is this all there is?"  I actually had a conversation along that line with a family member of the woman who had surgery yesterday. When asked...I've never crossed over and seen with my own eyes!  Not being able to answer except from a place of hope and faith, the man began asking even more difficult questions...
"We find by losing. We hold fastby letting go. We become somethingnew by ceasing to be something old.This seems to be close to the heartof that mystery. I know no more now than I ever did about the far side ofdeath as the last letting-go of all,but now I know that I do not needto know, and that I do not needto be afraid of not knowing.God knows. That is all that matters." 

God knows...That is all that matters.

I'm so glad I am not in charge! My little corner of the world is enough chaos to keep my head spinning, I cannot imagine the awesomeness of God to know "me" within so much else.

Jeremiah 1:5 says,   “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,   before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”


Matthew 10:30 reminds me that,  "And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered."


John 15:10 promises that, "If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love."


In other words, God knows ME!  He knows my name. He even knows the number of hairs on my head, that is how special I am to him.  I'm frail and I'm glorious! How great is that! I cannot believe that I will be simply "forgotten" like a speck of dust if I truly believe I am known and loved.

I may or may not get an opportunity to journal about that little book I picked up at the garage sale.  Tomorrow is Sunday...another full day after several full days.  Still, with God's help, I can remain present within each day.



Lord, today is the long awaited Lead Like Jesus One Day Encounter for the presbytery.  So many of us who have worked on this are also pastors...solo pastors of congregations.  Lord, you know each of our hearts.  Lord, you know us...each by name.  Lord, fill us with your Spirit today.  Help us to be a blessing to those who are attending this day long encounter.  And Lord, help me to remember to seek your face in each one I serve today.  AMEN!


Many Blessings ~ Sandi

1 comment:

  1. How reassuring to know and believe that God knows us and He is in charge of everything. In the midst of the frantic pace we create in this life, our God wants to spend time with us alone and help us to see every person as He sees them.

    ReplyDelete