ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Frail and Glorious - II


I will hopefully have an opportunity to journal on Macrina's second chapter of her book tomorrow, but this evening, I just wanted to post a joy.  I wanted to share my joy of being alive.  My joy of being a part of something much bigger than I can comprehend or imagine. My joy of being connected in wonderful and invisible ways.

The miracle...of new life!
You cannot imagine my joy of being asked to perform the marriage of a much loved nephew and his lovely bride. This morning, I received word they were at the hospital awaiting the birth of their first child, a little girl.  My heart was soaring as I approached the church. Making my last turn, I was surprised to see a car already parked at the church.  I checked my watch...it was only 7:00??

I was further surprised to see the lights all turned on in the sanctuary, the library door opened...even my office was unlocked and the door standing opened. (This man is a lifelong member of this congregation, is an elder, has served as clerk of session AND is the custodian...so he has all the keys. : ) ) I called out, and he appeared...looked at me and said, "My mom died two hours ago.

Death...also a miracle of new life!
I was stunned. The joy of my nephew's new baby suddenly seemed misplaced as I looked into the eyes of this man.  We talked for most of an hour...it wasn't like this woman's death was a surprise, but it still seemed to knock the air from her son.  

On impulse I decided to check Facebook and found a posting by my cousin after attending a Celebration of Life of a former classmate.  Like the elder at my church, my cousin was struggling with the finality of death.

During the morning I watched as the congregation embraced this woman's family.  I thought of my cousin reaching out to friends and family on Facebook.  I thought of all the family gathered waiting to catch a first peek at Evie.  And I thought how very connected and dependent we are on one another.  It does not matter if it is a joy of new life or the celebration at the end of life...we gather together.

Joyce Rupp talked a lot about our connectedness in The Cup of Life. This evening, watching the news of the levi's being released in order to save one area...but destroying another... 

The Butterfly Effect....
Do you remember  the phenomenon of the "butterfly effect"? This was the concept that small events can have large, widespread consequences. The name stems from MIT Meteorologist, Edward Lorenz's suggestion that a massive storm might have its roots in the faraway flapping of a tiny butterfly's wings. I don't know if this is true, I do know that what happens in one area of the world does have an effect of some kind on other parts of the world.

Tonight, as I hold the joy of a new grand-niece and the sadness of my cousin and elder as they adjust to the void left in their life...I celebrate the gift of life and my joy of being connected in strange, mysterious, invisible ways.  Of course....a song came to mind.

I some times wonder if it is possible that those saints who have gone before us, know what is happening on this earth?  If they can, I think Bob Marley would be pleased. 


Praise be to God... for the birth of this little girl, for the life of my cousin's friend, and the life of my elder's mother.  And, praise be to God for all those who love them.

Many Blessings ~ Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment