ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back in the saddle.

I read the most amazing scripture passage this morning in my Message Bible. 1 Peter 5:7-9 -
God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up. You're not the only one plunged into these hard times.
Keep my guard up...

This morning I posted a journal page, I saved it periodically even though Blogger is supposed to be saving it automatically.  But then I couldn't insert an image. I clicked "Save" and logged off the site.  I came back on and pulled up my "saved" post...and there was nothing.

Because I am physically exhausted after the past several days, I almost walked away, but then an old, old, old song from the past came to mind.

Stop! In the Name of Love!  by Diana Ross and the Supremes.

: ) Now, how's that for a blast from the past! : )

But, cant' you hear God saying, "Stop, in the name of Love" when you feel inclined to skip over the "important"?

"Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up."

Honestly, I have thought several times over the past few days how I would welcome a nap! Sometimes, a nap will refresh me, helping me to stay alert.  But, I know that is not the kind of napping Peter is talking about.

It is so easy to let the pressures of daily life crowd out that which is important.  Even though I have not been journaling, I have continued to read my devotion book by Sarah Young, Jesus Calling, nearly every day.  A few times I have plugged my earphones in and have listened to an online devotion at http://www.d365.org/todaysdevotion/ when my Soul Sister has sent an email reminding me of the gift that is awaiting me.

Today, on 365.org, Amy Butler writes:
What wouldn’t we give to have lives that are satisfied and content? Seek the face of God; look to God for food that satisfies. When you do, you’ll quickly find that God answers and provides.
I will not experience deep and life giving satisfaction and content by succumbing to the pressures of life.  By, letting things like aches and pains; frustration with Blogger; a clock reminding me of Evan's soccer game.... By letting these "urgent" things take precedent over the "important" it is far to easy for Evil to catch me napping and pouncing...

So!!! I am doing my best to calm my anxious heart this morning. I am doing my best to remain still before the God who created me and all that I see instead of succumbing to my urgent lists of "need to do..."

I'm doing my best to sit in the presence of life giving light so that I am better equipped to respond to my aches, my fatigue, my lists.

I'm doing my best...and I already feel stronger for just these few moments spent reflecting on God's Word, listening to the music of 365.org, and journaling.

God created me to journal!!!

I have completed Macrina's book, A Tree Full of Angels and have been wondering what my next read will be.  Honestly, I've several things going (imagine that!!).  I have not been able to decide on a direction for my online journal.  There are too many good books...good reads available and I feel confused with having to make a choice.  BUT!!! Today I am taking that step!

Next week I will begin journaling with Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts.

I will do my best to journal a little more about my choice later today but for now, I've a soccer game to go watch!

For now...a tease of what this book is about...

Gratefulness, Snatam Kaur - the Sun shines on everyone....


I am so grateful to be getting back in the saddle!!! Even though I have been reading...I have missed journaling!!

Many Blessings ~ Sandi

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I so hear you! I am so busy myself....looking forward to life taking on a slower pace...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are saddled up again. But, sometimes we have to our most pressing priorities get us off track for a bit. It is always more special when we are able to return...

    blessings ~ tanna
    ps you are welcome to my nest anytime. ;)

    ReplyDelete