ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Something to do...to love...to hope for

The grand essentials for happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. ~ Allan K. Chalmers


Sunday, I began my upcoming plea for adults to volunteer to help in the 2011-2012 Children's Worship.  First we sang that old hymn, "Tell Me the Old, Old Story" as a prelude into the Children's Sermon, then I asked four adults to share a story and I asked where they had first heard that story. I don't know what I will do for this coming Sunday, but Isaiah 40:21-31 keeps coming to my mind.

"Do you not know? Have you not heard?"


Those two questions pierce my heart each time I read them. I ask myself what it is I don't know, but I also ask myself who have I not told?

In Jesus Calling, Sarah Young writes for today:
"Meet Me in early morning splendor. I eagerly await you here. In the stillness of this holy time with Me. I renew your strength and saturate you with Peace. While others turn over for extra sleep or anxiously tune into the latest news, you commune with the Creator of the universe. I have awakened in your heat strong desire to know Me. This longing originated in Me, though it now burns brightly in you."



Wow, "Do you not know, Sandi that I eagerly await you here?"

How's that for a wake up call!

When I mindlessly hit the Power button on the TV as I pass by, the news of the day seems to set the tone of that day. All to often the news is full of fear, anger, sorrow...and this colors the lens by which I see a new day. When I begin my day with even five minutes of devotion or reading...I begin with a very different mindset.  I begin with a heart that has been filled with the Living Word of love, hope, and peace.

"Sandi, I eagerly await you here!"

As powerful that statement, what Sarah writes next is simply more than I can comprehend:
"When you seek My Face in response to My Love-call, both of us are blessed."
I journaled while reading The Cup of Our Life by Joyce Rupp about blessing God and how that was something I had not considered being able to do. Again, the only word that comes to my heart is "Wow!"

Chalmers is quoted as saying: The grand essentials for happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.


I began my day reading Isaiah 40 and holding the thoughts of Sarah's devotion...and I know that whatever I do today, those words will be a part of my doing. And, you know what? That kind of doing just couldn't get any better...whatever it turns out to be!

Carrying the words from Isaiah and Sarah, how can I help but see my day through the eyes of Love, which will make my day very different than seeing it through the eyes of the world news.

I appreciate all of Philippians 4, but this morning, it is verse 8 that stands out for me:
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
When I focus on whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable...How can I worry and be anxious? I will carry the hope...the peace of the Universe within my heart, regardless of what is going on around me or around the world.

Lastly...if I hold all these things, will not the Light of Love shine through me? Will not I be sharing the Light of Love through my actions?  Who knows, I might even be given the opportunity to share it through conversation...

"Sandi, do you not know that I eagerly await you here?"


Lord, you are a mystery my small mind and heart cannot comprehend. Yet, you have called me to seek you and in my seeking, I discover more and more of your light, your love, your hope, and your peace. Thank you.  May I bless you today in my actions, my words, and my thoughts. AMEN.


Many Blessings ~ Sandi

3 comments: