ONE THOUSAND GIFTS

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transparent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. ~ Sara Ban Breathnach

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My response to my uncle...

A few have sent me an email, asking how I responded to my uncle.

I admit to taking a long moment to consider my words, but when I spoke it was something very close to...

"Uncle Robert, you served this country as a soldier when you were a young man. Is this not correct?"

"You have cared for the earth (my uncle was a farmer), and you were a phenomenal hog producer, raising livestock that was not only healthy, but cared for in a humane and kind manner. Would you agree?"

"You have laughed with all of us as we have grown and you have expressed concern and quiet love when we have bumped up against challenges and obstacles. Would you agree?"

"You have been an avid Boiler fan for as long as I have known you! Would you agree?"

"You cared and loved your parents and have remained close to both mom and Uncle Rich and their families through all your life. Would you agree?"

"You married a wonderful woman and together you raised a loving daughter. Would you agree?"

"You have lived a life of caring for others, both in a physical sense and financially. You have been generous in giving to the church both of your time and your money. Would you agree?"

"Uncle Robert, obviously, I have not passed on to be with Grandma and Grandpa, Uncle Rich, Louis, Aunt Rosemary....so it is through my hope in Jesus which gives me focus today, at this moment.  You and I both know that as Christians, we have faith in that which we cannot see.  Even if we did not have this hope, would you have done anything differently?"

"For what its worth, I do have faith that it is not a lie. As I stand here with you, I believe with all my heart that when you get to this place, you will be rewarded for the love you gave not only to me, but all the other lives you have touched, many never being aware of having done so."

(moment of silence...)

"And, Uncle Robert? When you get there, will you tell Grandpa he was successful in brainwashing me to believe the sun rises and sets on Purdue?"

At this point, after agreeing with all my questions and admitting he could not think of anything he would have done differently, my much loved uncle laughed, the laugh of someone who seemed to have a sense of joy and peace.

I wonder if I to, when I know I am growing weak and my days may be numbered here on earth....I wonder if I to will suddenly wonder if it has all been a lie.  I've thought about this ever since my conversation with my uncle.  Just as he couldn't think of anything he would have done differently, I think I will keep on traveling the same path I'm on!

Many Blessings ~ Sandi

1 comment: